Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Introduction

I am Barbara Jo, newly retired Head of the Art Department for Cloud County Community College.  I have taught art to students from 4-84 years of age for over 40 years, both privately, and in elementary, junior high, high school and college.  I am also a professional artist working in hand built clay sculpture, brick carving, and 2D mixed media. 

I was raised on a farm in central Kansas where I learned to love all things in nature.  I was raised a Christain by my wonderful family, and had wonderful examples of the Christain spirit in the loving people in our church community.  I loved the "spirit" of our small town, community, church, family, and have always felt the spirit of the Lord around me.  This connection with the earth and community has led me to believe that in our interactions with others, we can touch people with our spirit and leave a small bit of ourselves with them.  Working in clay which is part of God's good earth, and especially the experimental mixed media pieces I have been producing since 2012, I feel a part of my spirit is incorporated in each piece.  I hope that as you view the photographs here, you will feel the spirit of each one and enjoy the journey. 

Samples of my work below:


My first brick bench, "Earth Elements", burgandy brick by Cloud Ceramics, Concordia, KS, flash fired.

Spirit of Loneliness, Mixed media/collage

Primitive hand built stoneware pot, engobe 

1 comment:

  1. Please feel free to leave a comment. I would be interested in hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete