Sunday, February 2, 2014

Spirit Card

I needed a card for a dear family friend whose birthday I missed so decided to make a simple Spirit painting in a large postcard format to send to her.  I also wanted to try a new twist to the style by adding many rectangles and squares to one layer.  Since I wasn't sure how it would turn out I decided to just use stamp pads to "paint" the background layers rather than using my watercolors.  I think it turned out fine.  I hope she likes it!


 On a background of lavender card stock I "painted" a free color area using a small 1" teal stamp pad.

Next I added green ink in another random design.

To complete the background, hot pink stamp pad was used to "paint" the area.

Then I randomly stamped the actual stamp pads down on the paper to create an overlapping design of squares and rectangles.  This was an idea I "borrowed", with permission, from Pat Cafferty, a Canadian fiber artist and friend.  I have never used this many stamp pad prints in a piece, and it was fun to let loose.  I especially liked that some of the pads left a dark inked area while others were very faint and transparent.

Then I added a layer of white and purple acrylic paint that I put on a cardboard roller with different sized rubber bands wrapped around it.  Then I rolled the roller across the design several times.

The last step was to add the marker dots to help create a border, use white and black ink to add details and text.  

The completed piece has a focal point of a country road with a windmill and tank with a hedge row on the horizon.  It reminds me of my dad's pasture by the Arkansas River, although the "road" going through the pasture is not that straight or clean!  I used a white stamp pad to create the background for the ink drawing.  The text reads:
Spinning Love
Spinning Legacy
Spinning Memories
Spinning....
Spinning...
Spinning....
The Way Home

This is for my dear, dear friend, Janice Schmidt for her birthday.  I've known her for as long as I remember as she was a member of the church I grew up in and one of the last few to help keep our little church going, was my Mom's BEST friend, and one of the loveliest ladies I have ever known.  She has the biggest heart and i love her with all of mine!

Happy Birthday, my dear friend.  (Photo taken in April, 2002)




2 comments:

  1. I simply adore your spirit card and was fascinated to see all the steps. You gave me some ideas. The cardboard roller with elastic bands....hmmmmmm....great idea....could also use string and cord in varying sizes.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several "rollers", usually the inside roll of toilet paper or paper towels, with a variety of textures tied or glued onto them. I like the rubber bands best. If you use different sized bands and criss cross them over each other, it gives a great random line. I have used paint and stamp ink on them. They both work, just different look. Hope you have fun with this on your fabric!

    ReplyDelete