Thursday, February 25, 2016

New Large Paintings Feb, 2016

I have been working on some new paintings in larger formats.  These are still mixed media acrylic paintings, but on much larger canvases than my usual pieces.  Hope you enjoy them.

24"x24" mixed media--background was applied with a VERY small (approximately 6-8") yarn MOP from Dollar General.  The mop was dipped in acrylic paint and then pounced on the stretch canvas.  Then I rolled the mop over the surface to soften the pounded marks.  I used the aqua and orange for the background.  The circular stroke was made with a (BRAND NEW) toilet brush that had a hollow handle so I pushed it on the opposite end of the mop.  By laying the canvas on the floor and using the long handle of the mop, there was a freedom to the brush strokes that was fun and playful.  I spritzed the bottom of the circular mark and let the paint run.  I then added the details to create "Spirit of the Leap of Faith"

"Spirit of the Mended Heart", 24"x36", Mixed media--scraped acrylic, acrylic, pastel, ink, embroidery thread.  This canvas was ordered through the mail and when it arrived it had a knife cut in the middle of it.  At first I thought I would paint, 'Spirit of the Broken Heart', but I decided I wanted it to be much more positive.  So I chose the Mended Heart and was really excited when I found some of my Mother's embroidery thread.  There is a quote I like that says something about God's light shining brightly through the cracks/broken parts of our heart.  

Detail of the 'mended' part of the heart.

Spirit of Spring Bursting Forth, 11"x15"Mixed Media--scraped acrylic, acrylic, white ink on watercolor paper.  I'm loving experimenting with the white ink on darker paint.  And I love the texture of the scraped acrylic on the watercolor paper.  




No comments:

Post a Comment